Ahhh, social media. Regardless of your industry, social media is an important platform to utilize so you can take full advantage of its benefits. Integrating social media into your comprehensive marketing strategy is more important than ever before. In regards to search engines and how users are searching today, how does social play a role? Let’s look at:
- How social platforms help your website rank better
- Social platforms will also rank in search engines
- Social channels have become search engines as well
Social platforms help your website rank better.
Having a social media presence affects your brand reputation and search engine rankings. Social is a valuable channel for promotion, content, distribution, and sharing.
SEO (search engine optimization), social media, and content marketing find themselves knit very closely. These three factors help drive website traffic through valuable content. Google wants the best, most relevant content to rank high. This is in part due to the changes to Google algorithms, which now factor social signals and brand signals as an indicator in search rankings.
A successful campaign develops a content marketing strategy around your goals and utilizes each social channel properly for distribution and engagement. This will rank your site higher and ensure it is found organically for the relevant topic or keywords
Heres a 30,000ft view of how social impacts SEO:
- Publish creative, inspiring, informative content
- Content is then shared on social platforms linking back to your site
- Those social channels collect followers, while the site gains traffic
- Community and brand awareness grow around the brand
- Consistent interactions made through social media reinforce brand reputation
- Search engines index website and the content you publish
- Users find website organically through search engines
Social platforms will also rank in search engines.
Social media profiles influence the content of your search results. In fact, social media profiles are often among the top results in search listings for brand names along with the website itself.
Social channels have become search engines as well.
Companies should expand their concept of SEO to include not just the traditional search engines, but also social search engines. People don’t just go to Google to search for information, they also use social media channels to find what they’re looking for. Social networks themselves function as powerful and widely-used search engines in their own right.
“We need to understand that search engine optimization includes the search that happens on social media search engines.” – Neil Patel, Co-Founder Crazy Egg
Fun facts that demonstrate just how much people are using social media to search:
- As of 2010, Twitter handles 19 billion search queries a month (that’s more than 5x the queries handled by Bing!).
- In 2012 Facebook said it got around one billion search queries per day.
- As of March 2010, YouTube got roughly 3.7 billion search queries a month. Also, 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, making it one of the largest content repositories on the web.
- As of 2015, the number of Twitter search engine inquires per day was 2.1 billion.
- As of 2016, Facebook sees over 2 billion searches per day.
- This compared to Google’s 3.5 billion searches per day.